Events for June 2018
About This Concert:
The luminous soprano Carolyn Sampson joins us to perform Mahler’s Fourth—a quiet version of heaven where a child’s every dream comes true.
- Minnesota Orchestra
- Osmo Vänskä, conductor
- Carolyn Sampson, soprano
- R. Douglas Wright, trombone
- Kari Sundström, trombone
- Andrew Chappell, bass trombone
- Steven Campbell, tuba
Pillars, a Concerto for Low Brass [World Premiere]
Symphony No. 4
- One of the powerful foundations of our Orchestra is our rockstar low-brass section; Hidden in plain sight, these four gents are the best in the biz!
- Strauss’ contemporary Gustav Mahler wrote encouragingly for the brass in almost all of his 10 symphonies, giving glorious fanfares to them—though in his tender Symphony No. 4, Mahler gave pride of place to the strings and a solo soprano.
- The soprano in Mahler’s Fourth sings every exasperated parent’s dinnertime fantasy, as a child describes “good greens of every sort grow in the heavenly vegetable patch, good asparagus, string beans, and whatever we want!”