About This Concert:
Join Minnesota Orchestra trumpeter Charles Lazarus and Minneapolis family quintet The Steeles for an era-spanning journey through the New American Songbook from Gershwin and Ellington to Stevie Wonder and Prince.
- Minnesota Orchestra
- Roderick Cox, conductor
- Charles Lazarus, trumpet / The Steeles, vocalists
- Tommy Barbarella, keyboards, arranger and producer
- Cory Wong, guitar
- Jeff Bailey, bass
- David Schmalenberger, drums
- Ken Chastain, percussion
Download program notes (pdf)
- This show brings audiences through the "New American Songbook" of 20th century popular music. Journey from the musical kaleidoscope of New York City to New Orleans—the birthplace of jazz—with highlights from Philly soul, Motown hits, Chicago blues, and West Coast cool.
- Opening with the music of Gershwin and closing with an encore of Prince’s Purple Rain as performed before 65,000 roaring fans at the Minnesota Vikings 2016 season opener, this is a can’t-miss performance.
- The Steeles appeared on 5 albums with Prince (Graffiti Bridge, Diamonds and Pearls, 1-800-New Funk, The Gold Experience and The Love Symbol Album) and starred in the Broadway hit The Gospel at Colonus.
- A Minnesota Orchestra member since 2000, Charles Lazarus has helmed original productions for the Orchestra as soloist, composer and bandleader. A versatile virtuoso, he was a member of the Canadian Brass, opened for Tony Bennett, and has performed with Barry White and Joe Williams.
- New York Newsday hails Lazarus's "bedazzling technique and refined sense of musicianship," and the Washington Post says, "Lazarus could have tumbled the walls of Jericho."
Location Orchestra Hall
1111 Nicollet Mall