About This Concert:
You’re invited! Pink Martini and special guests the von Trapps (the great-grandchildren of the Captain and Maria von Trapp) mix a fabulous cocktail of swoon-worthy music and multilingual flourishes for a performance that will be the talk of the town.
- Minnesota Orchestra
- Sarah Hicks, conductor
- China Forbes, lead vocals
- Pink Martini, ensemble
- The von Trapps, guest vocals
Read program notes »
- The von Trapps are, as their name suggests, four descendants of the von Trapp Family Singers, the inspiration behind the popular musical and film The Sound of Music.
- Pianist Thomas Lauderdale formed Pink Martini in 1994 in Portland to play at fundraisers for civil rights, environmental and educational causes.
- Lauderdale describes Pink Martini as “a rollicking around-the-world musical adventure…if the United Nations had a house band in 1962, hopefully we’d be that band.”
- Pink Martini albums feature a wide range of guest singers such as the Von Trapps (yes, the actual great-grandchildren of The Sound of Music’s Captain and Maria von Trapp), the late Phyllis Diller and Rufus Wainwright.
- They’ve recorded in dozens of languages as varied as Turkish, Japanese, Romanian and Xhosa.
- Lead singer China Forbes graduated cum laude from Harvard and her original songs have been featured in The Sopranos, The West Wing, Weeds, The L Word, Felicity and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
- NPR describes Pink Martini’s songs as “a globetrotting victory lap…all tackled with cosmopolitan sophistication and the playfulness of pop.”
Location Orchestra Hall
1111 Nicollet Mall