About This Concert:
The Atrium Jazz Ensemble reflects on the timeless, profound and personal raising of the voice performing folk songs, spirituals, blues and standards with vocalist Bruce A. Henry.
- Jeremy Walker, piano and artistic director
- Bruce A. Henry, vocals
- Jeff Bailey, bass
- Kevin Washington, drums
- In jazz, the singularity of a mother’s lullaby, the high rhetorical intent of a preacher, and the freedom of expression of the blues meet in the timeless, profound and personal raising of the voice.
- Jazz singing brings all the varied timbres and phrasing of the natural human voice to the highest levels of artistic mastery. Bruce A. Henry continues in the tradition of the great singers of jazz—broadcasting this sound in a universal expression of joy and beauty.
- Of Henry, Jazz Police raved “His voice is his horn, and he can swing like Goodman, spin and spiral like Parker, or levitate like Coltrane.”
- Henry’s award-winning talent and music have taken him to five continents, garnering a large following in France and the Far East. He has performed in locales such as Manila, Israel, Paris, London, Miami, New York City, Maui, Saipan and Tanzania.
- Of this series, Pioneer Press notes "Orchestra Hall's Target Atrium is the Twin Cities' answer to New York's Dizzy's Club Coca Cola in Lincoln Center—a smaller, more intimate venue where listeners can enjoy concert hall-quality jazz."
Please note: The Minnesota Orchestra does not perform on this program.
Location Target Atrium, Orchestra Hall
1111 Nicollet Mall