About This Concert:
From Latin grooves to swingin’ sounds and floating waltzes, this program is sure to make you feel the rhythm!
- Minnesota Orchestra
- Akiko Fujimoto, conductor
Hand Clapping Music for Claves
Waltz of the Flowers, from The Nutcracker
The Floreadores, from The Swingin’ Nutcracker
Dance Intermezzo No. 2
Hoedown, from Rodeo
Simple Gifts, from Appalachian Spring
Under the Sea, from Disney’s The Little Mermaid
- Join us for a concert sure to delight audiences of all ages! All seats $12. One-hour concert. No intermission.
- Steve Reich was a pioneer of minimalist music composition, and was among the first to use tape loops, human breath and hand clapping to create styles known as “pulse” and “phase” music.
- Under the Sea was written by Alan Menken for Disney’s The Little Mermaid. It was Menken’s first score for Disney, and it won the Academy Award for Best Song in 1989.
- The traditional Shaker hymn Simple Gifts was made famous after its use in Aaron Copland's popular ballet Appalachian Spring. Weezer, REM, Judy Collins and Jewel have recorded versions of it, and John Williams’ Air and Simple Gifts arrangement was performed at Barack Obama’s inauguration ceremony on January 20, 2009.
- Come early for pre-concert activities (12:45-1:45pm), including opportunities to try orchestral instruments, engage in creative movement, participate in collaborative art-making, learn more about the program and meet Minnesota Orchestra musicians.
Sensory-Friendly Family Concerts:
- The Minnesota Orchestra’s Sensory-Friendly Family Concerts are inclusive experiences for patrons of all ages and abilities, including individuals on the autism spectrum and those with sensory sensitivities.
- All families are welcome! We invite you to Orchestra Hall—a supporting and relaxed environment.
- Concerts take place in an environment where audience members are welcome to be who they are and enjoy music with family and friends.
- Learn more about the concert experience with our tip sheet and other preparatory materials (available four weeks prior to the concert)!