About this Concert:
Alisa Weilerstein makes the cello sing like few others can. Hear her in the unparalleled masterpiece for her instrument, Dvořák's hauntingly beautiful Concerto.
Gejia, Chinese Images for Orchestra
Symphony No. 5
- Kalevi Aho, from Finland, was inspired to write Gejia, Chinese Images for Orchestra by the indigenous people of western China.
- Dvořák, the most famous Czech composer, wrote his Cello Concerto in New York City.
- One of the treasures of the Weilerstein family album is a picture of Alisa, about three, playing a cereal box cello; she started cello lessons at age four.
- Weilerstein holds a degree in Russian history.
- Sibelius’ Symphony No. 5 is arguably his most popular work, and the Minnesota Orchestra 2012 recording won enormous critical and audience praise.