The Minnesota Orchestra is the largest performing arts organization in the state and one of America’s top symphonic ensembles. Now in its second century, the Orchestra continues a tradition of world-renowned artistic excellence, adventurous programming, and a visionary commitment to building the orchestra of tomorrow, under the musical direction of Osmo Vanska.
The Bar Manager will facilitate a positive audience experience and promote the Minnesota Orchestra by upholding the Audience Services Department standards of service— advocacy, efficiency and courtesy; by keeping up-to-date on Orchestra Hall products, services, policies and procedures; by assisting with the training, mentoring, and supervision of Bartenders and the Concession staff; and by assisting the Audience Services Management Team with department related projects.
Major Job Functions:
- Complete monthly bartender and concession supervisor schedules.
- Order products (liquor, paper products, etc.), ensuring adequate pars, rotating product (no expired products).
- Tracking inventory, expenses and following set budgets.
- Maintain equipment including scheduling maintenance.
- Create/Assist with drink specials and specialty requests from clients (rentals).
- Compile consumption and create bar settlements for events.
- Interview, hire and train new bartenders.
- Review and coach all bartenders.
- Hold bi-annual bartender/concession meetings including Alcohol Awareness training
Bar Supervision – Concerts & Events
- Complete bartender/concession staff position sheet – distribute to stage door and counting room.
- Monitor the service of Front of House staff determining when assistance and/or intervention is necessary to ensure exemplary customer service.
- Assist with the training and mentoring of Bartenders. Demonstrate excellent customer service techniques and precise knowledge of products.
- Serve alcoholic and other beverages at Orchestra Hall.
- Set up, maintain and clean bar before and after scheduled concert or event.
- Adhere to city, state and federal regulations regarding checking proper identification for proof of age in purchasing or consuming alcoholic beverages, legal and responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages and providing tip declarations as required by federal guidelines.
- Handle emergencies in accordance with emergency procedures.
Education & Experience:
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both orally and in written form
- Previous customer service experience required including bartending
- Previous supervisory experience required
- Previous CPR/AED/First Aid certification preferred
- Previous certified in Alcohol Awareness training preferred
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills with the ability to work independently
- Flexibility, initiative, interpersonal skills, personal Integrity and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Physical Requirements – must be able to:
- Stand and walk with limited breaks for entire shift (up to 6 hours)
- Climb stairs, bend and stoop for portions of shift
- Lift up to 30 pounds for portions of shift and able to push carts (liquor boxes, portable bars, etc.)
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Minnesota Orchestral Association
1111 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis , MN 55403
No Phone Calls Please
The Minnesota Orchestra is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applicants from all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds. The Minnesota Orchestra embraces its commitment to equal opportunity for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, gender, religion, age, marital or veteran’s status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law.
This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the arts are strongly encouraged to apply.