Minnesota Orchestral Association
Development Special Events Internship
Founded in 1903, the Minnesota Orchestra is one of America’s finest and longest-established orchestras. The Orchestra is a major arts institution in this region with an international reputation for excellence. Our concerts are attended by nearly 300,000 people each year.
The position provides the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in a large nonprofit development department. Responsibilities will be assigned to assist the Events Team with tasks related to the Symphony Ball’s silent and live auction. It requires a commitment of 10-20 hours per week from January 1 – May 31, 2018. Must be available to work the gala on May 12. Work days and hours are flexible.
- Assist with the writing of auction solicitation letters and follow-up email/phone correspondence;
- Track auction solicitation status using the assigned database;
- Keep auction items organized and sufficiently recorded;
- Attend and work the Symphony Ball Gala on May 12, 2018;
- Other event-related duties as assigned
Qualifications The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a strong desire to learn fundraising practices and/or event planning skills within a world-class arts organization;
- Have excellent computer skills and ability to quickly adapt to new programs, with proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Have the ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality with donor file information;
- Be detail-oriented and possess strong organizational and customer-service skills;
- Physically able to be on feet for several hours and lift 25+ pounds;
- Flexibility to ever-changing tasks
- Consistently exhibit a professional and pleasant demeanor when dealing with donors, volunteers, musicians and staff members.
Compensation Although the internship is unpaid, benefits include:
- Opportunity to gain first-hand experience in large nonprofit development department;
- Reimbursement for bus or parking expenses related to the internship;
- Complimentary tickets to select Orchestra performances.